Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Thing 10: The Virtual Library Branch.

One thing I find myself using from the Library's website is the research feature. Since I am a medical buff (some say more of a hypochondriac) ;-) but really, I say I should have been a doctor, but, I'll admit that I'm a weakling.

Anyhoo, I really like using the 'research' tool on the website and check out the 'health and medicine' databases which include articles, journals and newspaper articles on the latest news for medicine. It's great and very useful, I can find anything I am interested in.

I also use the research tool to find topics in regards to the classes I am taking at Dominican.

Now, when it comes to coming up with an idea on how to add more gadgets or make the Library's website even better than it is, I find it to be my weak point because I see a ton of stuff on the site where I believe they are all useful for patrons.

The only idea that's popping in my mind as I write this is maybe create a blog feature for Skokie Library Card holders can create a site via the wesbite where they become one big SPL Blog community. This would create an interaction as well as fun. Patrons can help eachother out in any aspect of learning.

Just one idea I guess.
I would call it the "SPL Blogosaurus!" :-D
"Come one! Come all! Let's blog! Let's get to know eachother!"

I believe it would benefit the library very much. Why you ask? because it would allow the staff to see what kind of patrons come in, how they think, and what they like, thus, leading to more ideas on what to add to the website.

I hope that sounded like it made sense.

B

No comments: